although i am, in fact, working on my boston post. have a draft entry and everything. but in the meantime, i've been tagged...
* What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
for me personally, it's knowing that some unchangeable part of me causes pain to someone i love. i can't even describe how much that sucks. then couple that with not being able to change that part of yourself... man! i'm so lucky.
* Where would you like to live?
i would like to be where She Who Tagged Me is: the general vicinity of portland, oregon. and if a little luck and determination have anything to say about it, we should be up there within the year. i really, really miss my parents. and oregon.
* What is your idea of earthly happiness?
lounging in a breezy cabana, overlooking an azure sea, and thinking up a snort-worthy witticism
* To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
probably musing (hence the title of this blog). sure it can be entertaining. sure it can lead to deep thoughts. but it sure can get me into a mess.
* Who are your favorite heroes/heroines of fiction?
gosh. i guess karen eiffel and harold crick in stranger than fiction, for completely different reasons; whoever the lead girl is in oranges are not the only fruit (what can i say, it's been so long since something i read really resonated with me). i also used to have a ginormous thing for jean luc picard. yep. it me, trekkie.
* Who are your favorite characters in history?
not to be cheesy but jesus is right up there. say what you want, he or his ghostwriters wrote some good stories. radclyffe hall. any pivotal feminist really (like how i'm covering my ass - and my memory - with that one?)
* Who are your favorite heroines in real life?
as in current day? any living feminist. :-D actually you know, i'm going to pick my mom. i don't know how she puts up with all her physical ailments AND my dad's AND is still so chipper and silly every time i talk to her, hardly ever complaining.
* Your favorite painter?
i am really not refined enough to answer this. i have some favorite photographers on flickr tho: whileseated, photo fiddler and heather (not me).
* Your favorite musician?
this is impossible. but some favorites currently coming to mind: indigo girls, jars of clay, crowded house
* The quality you most admire in a man?
a brilliant, liberal, devastatingly witty mind. so thank god for this.
* The quality you most admire in a woman?
same as the dudes, but throw in some sexy and you're just perfect.
* Your favorite virtue?
another tough one, but i will go with faith. because i think we could go so much further with a little more faith in each other (and yes i know this goes along with hope, another virtue).
* Your favorite occupation?
of jobs i've actually had? any writing job. for a dream job? starship captain.
* Who would you have liked to be?
see last dreamy answer.
* Your most marked characteristic?
* What do you most value in your friends?
snarkiness and loyalty
* What is your principle defect?
obsession. thankfully most of my stalkees have been beyond my reach.
* What is your dream of happiness?
i answered this in #3, but suffice to say it involves some brilliance.
* What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
to never learn, and never grow from what you've learned.
* What would you like to be?
blessed with scrilla, but only so that i could focus on writing, erasing all my debts and generally spoiling friends and family.
* In what country would you like to live?
right now, here. but i wouldn't mind a trial run in sweden or the UK.
* What is your favorite color?
blue and green are interminably tied.
* What is your favorite flower?
stargazers. had them in our wedding, so lovely.
* What is your favorite bird?
i'll say seagulls, only because they remind me of the ocean.
* Who are your favorite prose writers?
jeanette winterson and a new one, susanna clarke. that book is looong, but oh! so worth it.
* Who are your favorite poets?
i know i have enjoyed some of the big lesbos: chrystos, adrienne rich, leslea newman. but to be honest that was years ago, i don't read poetry anymore.
* Who are your heroes in real life?
kinda said this before, but my mom. anyone who can successfully navigate this world with a blend of compromise and asskicking.
* What is it you most dislike?
* What natural gift would you most like to possess?
courage. not that i'm bereft, but i wouldn't mind a little more.
* How would you like to die?
in my sleep, after that day at the cabana.
* What is your present state of mind?
tired (it's after midnight now, my brain is entitled to be mush), hopeful, depressed, goofy, bored, and excited. what, i can't be all those things at once?
* What is your motto?
live free or... ;-) ok, probably some version of the golden rule + be as silly as humanly possible. yes, that's perfect.
alright, tagtime! immediately coming to mind are my sunday lunch dates (kelly, samantha, karen), but i would seriously love to hear from anyone who made it this far.
incidentally, sunday folks: in case you were wondering why i was a little subdued, i had a badass headache all day. know that i had a good time and hopefully we can try again someday. :-)